Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why do I believe these things?

I think string theory is for the birds.  How much do I know about string theory?  Not much, I'm sure it's insulting to the many men and women who have dedicated their lives to pushing forward the details.  Yet there's plenty of well informed individuals that agree with me.  I like Supersymmetry as a particle physics model.  I don't know much more about it that I do about string theory and the two are intertwined anyway.  Why do I even have an opinion?  Does it matter that I do?  Apparently we've decided that uninformed opinions on global warming matter, should it extend to all the sciences?

Also, I think the multiworlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is bogus and that the Bell theorem proves it.  I don't like the Copenhagen interpretation but think it's the most reasonable.  Who cares?  Why do I care?  With these things I know enough to know that my opinions are uninformed, but how many things do I care about that I secretly don't know anything about?  How much do I have to know before it matters?  After all, someone has to be wrong and there's plenty of very well informed people on either side.  No amount of competence will keep them from being wrong, why should I let my incompetence keep me from being right?  Can't win if you're not in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment